The Wales and Africa grants scheme is a grant fund for community groups and organizations throughout Wales who work with partnerships in Sub Saharan Africa
About Wales and Africa grant scheme 2022
We are pleased to announce that the Wales and Africa grant scheme will continue for the next three years! Round 1 of the Wales and Africa 2022-25 scheme is now open to applicants.
The Wales and Africa grant scheme is a flagship initiative of Welsh Government’s Wales and Africa programme. The scheme enables community groups and organisations in Wales to access funding for small-scale projects that contribute to Wales’ delivery of UN Sustainable Development Goals and deliver benefits to Wales and Africa. The Wales and Africa programme supports and encourages civil society, business and public bodies in Wales to take action on poverty in Africa through active global citizenship, skills exchanges a and mutual learning, partnership working, and climate change action.
In order to apply to the Wales and Africa Grant, you will need to register with WCVA’s Multipurpose Application Portal (MAP). If you have previously registered with MAP, you can log in by entering your username and password on the home screen.
Organizations can register by visiting the website: map.wcva.cymru
You will be asked to complete the online application and to upload a completed project profile spreadsheet.
Applicants can apply for funding between £1,000-£25,000 and must make a tangible contribution to at least 1 of the 4 themes described below:
- We seek to contribute to protecting the mental and physical health and wellbeing of communities in Africa through our grants. Examples of this could include:
- Supporting knowledge and skills sharing between health institutions in Wales and Africa for mutual learning and benefit;
- Supporting healthcare professionals in Africa to access small scale training and support from Wales; and
- Supporting communities in Wales and Africa to access to more equitable, quality healthcare
- Under Lifelong Learning we will support individuals or groups of young people or adults in Wales and/or Africa to gain skills and knowledge. Examples of this could include:
- Linking communities in Wales with African partners to develop mutual understanding of global development and international issues;
- Supporting the educational needs of disadvantaged children in Africa and sharing that experience with school pupils in Wales, contributing to their global citizenship education; and
- Supporting people in Africa to learn practical/vocational/artistic skills to improve their livelihoods.
Climate Change and Environment
Under our climate change and environment grant stream, we will support initiatives that reduce environmental degradation and biodiversity loss in Africa as well as strategic and practical work to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and to protect people from the impacts of climate change on food supplies, water availability or safety. Examples of this could include:
- Activities which support African farmers to adapt to a changing climate;
- Projects which enable the use of renewable energy in Africa;
- Projects engaging people in Wales with climate change issues as they affect Africa; or
- Work aiming to support African partners in implementing sustainable development practices.
We seek to promote realistic and sustainable livelihood opportunities in Wales and Africa, ensuring that marginalized individuals are included in grassroots economic and social development. Initiatives that we support include:
- Community-led, income generating cooperatives that have benefit to Wales and Africa;
- Engaging the public through Fair Trade campaigns, advocacy or policy;
- Activities that bring the consumer closer to the producer in a sustainable way; Support to small-scale agricultural projects and activities; and Support to grassroots income generating activities.
Timescale & Process for Awards
|First deadline for submissions||24 July 2022||Applications will not be able to be submitted after this deadline|
|Panel meeting||Week beginning 15 August 2022||Formal approval of requests which will be funded.|
|Applicants informed||22 August 2022||Grant offer letters sent to successful requests.|
|Earliest projects start date||01 September 2022|
For how to apply for the Wales and Africa grant scheme 2022, check the sponsoring organization’s website <<Here>>