About the African Union Essay Contest
The African Union Summit 2022 Essay Contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity, and initiative of the African youth in promoting a culture of sustainable development in Africa, with a particular focus on industrialization and innovation in Africa. It also aims to inspire African society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of them can make a difference in our continent’s future. In a nutshell, the
essay contest will serve to open up dynamic conversations and spur reflection and action by leaders on addressing issues on Industrialisation from the perspective of young people and push for much-needed reforms.
The essay contest is organized by the African Union Commission as an activity within the preparation for the upcoming African Union Summit on Industrialization and Economic Diversification, scheduled to
be held in Niger, in November 2022.
ESSAY THEME for the The African Union Summit 2022 Essay Contest
Our youth should inspire the way we think and act, and they shape the society we live in. As an African youth, what kind of industrialization should be prioritized to maximize the synergies with Africa’s development agenda towards the overarching objective of achieving sustainable development and prosperity for all? In doing so, how can our African leaders best pursue the envisaged industrialization pathway?
The following awards will be given to the three best essays respectively:
- AUC issued Certificate
- Round trip from home country to the AU Summit on Industrialization and Economic Diversification in Niamey, Niger.
- Accommodation during the said Summit
- Present the essay to the Summit to leaders, and technical experts
2nd and 3rd prize:
- AUC issued Certificate
- Publication on the AUC website.
THE OUTCOME OF THE ESSAY COMPETITION
The winning essay will be presented at the AU Summit on Industrialization and Economic Diversification in Niger. The essay will be used as a guideline, a voice of young people and their views on the promotion of SMEs and Innovation on the continent especially leveraging from the AfCFTA.
The essay should be centered around the Summit theme, elaborate the challenges and actions within the region and solutions to those challenges. It should also include one of the AU Agenda 2063 aspirations:
- Aspiration 1: A prosperous Africa based on inclusive growth and sustainable development
- Aspiration 2: An integrated continent, politically united and based on the ideals of Pan-Africanism and the vision of Africa’s Renaissance
- Aspiration 6: An Africa, whose development is people-driven, relying on the potential of African people, especially its women and youth, and caring for children.
ACTIVITIES AND TASKS
- A selection panel will read and judge the best essay submitted
- The winner will present his/her essay at the AU Summit on Industrialization and Economic Diversification in Niger.
- Novelty: Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Copyright of the contested essays: will be assigned to the organizer.Format specifications:
- Arial size 12
- 5 spacing
- 2000 – 3000 words maximum
- PDF or MS Word version
- Call for essay submissions: 31st August 2022.
- Application deadline: 30th September 2022
- Selection of the winner: October 2022
- Announcement of the winner: October 2022
- All essays must be sent to AIW2022@africa-union.org by the 30th of September 2022 at 23:59 pm EAT.
- Authors must also sign and send a copy of the attached Attestation of Authorization form.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, Click here
You may also find the following articles useful: