The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is an African-led, non-profit research and policy institute established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. We contribute to the realisation of the SDGs by enabling the formulation of sound development policies and programme interventions. We work to promote and entrench a culture of evidence use in development efforts in Africa. Specifically, we:
- Strengthen institutional and individual capacity for demand and use of evidence, as well as promoting interactions between researchers and policymakers.
- Provide practical evidence to enable governments move from rhetoric and policy documents to action in addressing various sustainable development goals.
Our focus areas: Population Dynamics and Demographic Dividend, Health and Well-being, Transformative Education and Skills Development, the Environment and Climate Change, and Governance and Accountability.
The African Institute for Development Policy is looking to recruit a qualified and experienced person to fill the position of a Bilingual Communications Officer. The position will be based at the Institute’s office in Lilongwe, Malawi.
About the Communication Officer at African Institute for Development Policy position
The successful candidate will join the Institute’s multi-disciplinary team as a Bilingual Communications Officer for the Platform for Dialogue and Action on Health Technologies in Africa (Health Tech Platform). The Platform promotes and facilitates informed, objective, transparent, open and balanced discussions on development and use of emerging tools and technologies to address key health challenges in Sub-Saharan Africa. Some examples of emerging health technologies include: genetically modified mosquitoes for disease control, mRNA/DNA vaccines, RNAi therapeutics, use of artificial intelligence and drones in health interventions, among others. This is a full-time position that will report to the Project Manager, with a dotted line to AFIDEP’s Communications and Policy Engagement Manager.
The main responsibility of the Bilingual Communications Officer at the African Institute for Development Policy is to lead the design and implementation of the project communications and advocacy strategy in Francophone Africa. Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead the design and implementation of the project’s communications and advocacy strategy for the project in Francophone regions and countries.
- Identify and facilitate the project’s involvement in important policy and advocacy dialogues in specific countries and at the Francophone regional levels.
- Expand project links with critical national and regional policy and other stakeholders (government technical working groups, advocacy networks, regional bodies and networks).
- Prepare and publish regular newsletters, stories, blogs and other IEC materials to share the project’s experiences, and/or generate interest around the project’s activities.
- Translate the project’s advocacy products developed in English into French.
- Produce and publish multi-media products based on the project’s work (including videos, podcasts, photo stories, infographics, animations, etc.).
- Develop media materials based on evidence generated by the project including media releases, media kits, Op-Eds, etc.
- Establish and sustain links and contact with relevant journalists in specific Francophone countries and regions to facilitate publishing of project’s stories in diverse media channels.
- Manage the project website, ensuring that web content related to the project are well presented and up to date on the website.
- Contribute to managing the project’s social media accounts (i.e. Facebook, Twitter and You Tube), ensuring regular and quality content.
- Engage social media influencers to run social media campaigns on specific project-related issues.
- Implement a monitoring, learning and evaluation (MLE) plan for the project’s advocacy activities in Francophone Africa.
Qualifications and Requirements
The candidate will have a Master’s degree in Communications, Development Communications, Media, and International Relations, with more than five years of relevant experience in a development context and excellent command of both English and French languages.
Skills and Knowledge
- Science communications specialist with the ability to synthesise and package information in concise, easy to understand formats from complex, technical research
- Advocacy: Develop and deploy an effective advocacy strategy that includes but not limited to: Ability to conduct policy analysis, monitoring and public accountability; organise policy dialogues and related events; coordinate and conduct capacity building exercises for stakeholder groups; Identify opportunities and organise advocacy campaigns/events
- Media Engagement: Experience in developing and executing successful media engagement strategies to build and sustain good media relations, ensure successful media campaigns for the project, and build journalist’s skills in objective, accurate reporting of Health-Tech issues
- Communications: excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey technical arguments in clear and vivid prose
- Negotiation and networking: ability to negotiate, form and sustain credible strategic alliances.
- Knowledgeable: sound knowledge of regional and pan-African development issues; public policies and laws; proven skills in translating research and evidence into effective advocacy.
- Technical skills in publications production and design; web design and management; multimedia production skills in video, photography, social media use and other digital communications tools and platforms. One must have good knowledge and technical skills with the Adobe suite of applications, and website content management platforms.
- English-French translation
- Application Deadline: Application must be received later than August 29, 2022.
How to Apply for the Communication Officer position at African Institute for Development Policy
- Please send a motivation letter summarizing your experience and suitability for this position, and a detailed CV which should include three relevant referees to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than August 29, 2022.
- Applications should include the title of the position as the subject line of the email.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- This is a re-advertisement, therefore, previous applicants need not apply.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.