About the YouthEndFGM Call for Stories (August Edition) Prize
Are you a young African seeking creative ways to advocate for the elimination of Female Genital Mutilation? YouthHubAfrica in partnership with the African Youth Commission with funding support from the UNICEF-UNFPA Program on the elimination of Female Genital Mutilation in Africa has provided a platform (YouthEndFGM) for young people to use the art of Storytelling to disrupt the culture of silence on FGM; the monthly Storytelling Competition.
The task for the month of August:
We seek fictional stories that question harmful traditional practices, especially Female Genital Mutilation. Stories like we have never heard before, pushing boundaries and disrupting the culture of silence on FGM
Benefits of the YouthEndFGM prize
- Every month, the three best feature stories will EACH stand a chance to win cash prizes worth 100 USD.
This is not all,
- All stories that meet the criteria will be published on the www.youthendfgm.org website for an Africa-wide audience to read.
- The 3 top winning stories will be posted on YouthHubAfrica’s social media platform to drive more engagement.
- The Call is open to young Africans aged 18 – 35 years
- Acceptable Categories: Text
- Maximum number of words: 400
- Stories should be fictional, creative, original and depict the reality of FGM.
NOTE: All stories must be original works of fiction as they will be subjected to a plagiarism test.
The competition will be judged in three stages:
Stage One: Participants will submit their stories on the blogs page of the YouthendFGM website. The stories will go through an initial review and only stories that comply with our guidance will be published on the website.
Stage Two: Once the stories have been approved and published online, participants MUST share their published story on social media, to create engagements, thereby contributing to the advocacy to eliminate FGM in their networks. A minimum of 100 likes and 50 comments is required to move to stage 3.
Stage Three: Stories that successfully scale through stage 2 will be reviewed by a panel of Judges. They will consider Language, Presentation, Creativity and Relevance to the context.
- Language (grammar, vocabulary, spelling and punctuation)
- Elements (character, setting, plot, conflict and theme)
- Creativity (make the story become alive)
- Relevance to the issue/content
Note: The Top 3 winners will be required to sign a commitment of engaging their audience with their published stories on social media to be able to claim their prize cash of $100 each
How To Submit Your Story
- Create an account on https://youthendfgm.org/sign-up/ (if you have not done so already).
- Click on the August call for stories (here)
- Submit your story on the blog post.
Deadline: All stories must be submitted by Friday, 19th August 2022.