NYSC is a compulsory 1-year programme established by the Nigerian government as a means to build patriotic and loyal service in the lives of its youths. It is a must-obeyed clarion call that has been placed on every Nigerian graduate unless in the instance of exemption or exclusion. This article aims to provide information on the NYSC mobilization process-which is the guidelines formulated by NYSC to regulate the process and how to register for NYSC mobilization.
How does NYSC mobilization work?
The NYSC mobilization process is aimed to ensure that only eligible graduates who studied accredited courses in recognized higher institutions participate in the exercise/ The mobilization process generally involves selecting graduates who have successfully met the NYSC criteria for participation to begin their Service year journey; such students are served with NYSC call-up letters upon successful registration.
The NYSC mobilization process is carried out by the NYSC management and other regulatory bodies including NUC (National Universities Commission), NBTE (National Board for Technical Education), CPIs(Corps Producing Institutions), and JAMB of which a prospective NYSC member will be required to meet the criteria of the regulatory and examination bodies before his/her mobilization takes place.
Requirements for NYSC Mobilization
The first and basic requirement involves registration on the NYSC portal of which an email address and a Nigerian telephone/GSM number will be required.
However, you must note that for Nigerian graduates, only those whose names appear on the Senate board-approved list of graduates of their respective institution will be allowed to access the NYSC portal.
Other requirements for NYSC Mobilization are:
- First University Degree/HND certificate or official transcript.
- Marksheet is required for foreign graduates of Indian Universities
- O’level Certificate required with not less than 2 sittings including credit passes in Mathematics, English and other subjects(WAEC, NECO, GCSE etc.,).
- Prospective Corp members who did TOP UP courses are required to also upload their foundation certificates( APTECH, NIIT etc.,) during registration
- Graduates of health-related courses such as Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing, physiotherapy and others are required to present their certificate of registration and practicing license from their regulatory bodies during the registration process.
Please note: Online Printouts and statements of results are not accepted in place of original certificates.
Travel Document Requirement
- A valid Nigerian International Passport showing visible proof of entry visa to the country of study( for foreign graduates), date of departure from Nigeria to the country of study and also, date of return to Nigeria after completion of the course of study.
- The passport must show clearly the data page of the international passport used during the period of study.
- In an instance where the graduate is of dual nationality, he or she is required to upload the data pages of the 2 international passports and present them for verification at the orientation camp. Also, a Residence permit /visa covering the whole period of study is a requirement
For more information on NYSC mobilization visit the NYSC portal
How To Register For NYSC
Please note, the NYSC registration process is done online and it is free. Below are the steps prospective Corp members can register for NYSC
- Visit the the NYSC portal to officially begin the registration process.
- Proceed to create an account and input the correct email address and password as well as a valid Nigerian GSM number for follow-up.
- Fill in the NYSC biodata form that will be displayed on the portal (completing this step will give you access to the NYSC dashboard).
- After you have gained access to the dashboard, proceed to upload the required documents and complete verification.
- Thereafter, click on the “Submit” icon, to submit all forms and proceed to print out the registration slip which will be displayed on the screen after you have successfully submitted it.
Please note: if your registration has been successful and you are considered eligible for NYSC, you will be provided with a call-up letter from NYSC as proof of mobilization.