Table of Contents
About the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
The University of the Western Cape (UWC) is pleased to announce the launch of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UWC. Launched in 2012, the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is a global initiative designed to develop the next generation of transformative leaders by enabling highly talented, service-oriented young people, primarily young Africans, to pursue their higher education and cultivate their leadership potential. The Program is specifically targeted towards young people whose access to higher education is impeded by economic and social barriers. The Program places a particular emphasis on reaching young women, forcibly displaced youth, and young people living with disabilities.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UWC will support academically talented youth from South Africa and other parts of the African continent. For the 2023 Academic Year, the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UWC will provide fully-funded opportunities for young scholars from the African continent to study for a master’s degree.
Call for Applications:
The University of the Western Cape invites applications for a limited number of master’s degree scholarships from qualifying candidates from South Africa and the African continent who are prepared to register for a full-time master’s degree study in 2023.
Applications are restricted to the following disciplines/fields of study:
- Postgraduate Qualification: Master’s Degree – Disciplines/fields of study:
Humanities & Arts (Applied Linguistics, History, Gender Justice, Migration Studies, Sociology for Development);
- Community & Health Sciences (Public Health);
- Economic & Management Sciences (Development Studies, Information Sciences and Migration Studies);
- Law (Governance and Human Rights);
- Natural Sciences (Biological, Computational, Mathematical and Physical Sciences)
- At the time of application, an applicant must satisfy the following three criteria:
Be no older than 30 years for the postgraduate master’s degree;
- Meet the University’s minimum admissions requirements (for program-/discipline-specific information, visit www.uwc.ac.za);
- Be prepared to begin their first year of registration for full-time master’s study in 2023.
Download an application form (click here) and email the completed form and supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for all applications is Monday, 24 July, 2023. Due to the large volumes of applications received, we are unable to give personalized feedback to applicants.
If you do not hear from the university by Thursday, 3 August 2023, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Things to note About the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UWC
- The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UWC will communicate with applicants through email (preferred) and phone contact.
- Applicants should ensure that the phone numbers and emails addresses provided are accurate and active in order to receive important information and feedback.
- After the selection process, successful applicants will be invited for a virtual or in-person interview conducted by independent panels.
- Applicants who are found to have provided false information during any stage of the application and selection process will be disqualified. Any attempt to influence the selection process will lead to automatic disqualification.
There are seven main sections that will need to be completed in the application form:
- Personal Information
- Scholarship Information
- Academic Information
- Family Information
- Short Narratives
- Community Engagement
For More Information, Click here