Table of Contents
About Dalai Lama Fellow
Dalai Lama Fellow (DLF) offers emerging social innovators a rigorous, interdisciplinary, and deeply contemplative program to reimagine leadership as involving self-awareness, personal sustainability, genuine compassion for others, and the capacity to skillfully navigate complex systems at multiple levels. Our Fellows learn practices for cultivating emotional intelligence, self-care, resilience, empathy, deep listening, and communication skills in order to foster systems for human and planetary flourishing for generations to come. Over the course of a year, with the support of mentors and coaches, each Fellow implements an original field project addressing a local challenge and learns how to interweave their own transformation with the transformation of the communities with which they are engaging. Upon graduation, Fellows join a community of Life-Long Fellows, with whom they connect in mutually supportive ways while continuing to advance their leadership journeys.
Our fellowship focuses on flourishing as an end goal, and contemplation as a critical pathway to get there. To flourish is to realize well-being by achieving deep states of health and actualization of potential in all aspects of life (physical, social, emotional, cognitive, academic, professional), as well as to actively contribute to the well-being and flourishing of other people, other communities, and the natural world. Contemplation—the variety of experiential, integrated, and immersive forms of learning and resiliency that afford deep reflection, integration of the personal and the intellectual, transformative understanding, and the cultivation of skills applicable to all domains in one’s life—is critical to flourishing.
To date we have awarded 214 Fellowships. See where our Fellows come from!
- Immersion in their distinctive yearlong Head, Heart, Hands online leadership curriculum
- One-and-one and small group coaching to support their personal development and leadership in social innovation work
- Participation in the Contemplative Leadership Assembly with Fellows from around the world and dynamic faculty
- Lifelong affiliation in a global learning community and support system
In order to fulfill the minimum requirements, through the application a candidate must demonstrate:
- Age requirements: 20-35 years old as of July 1, 2023
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Current engagement with or well-articulated plans for a social change project and sustained engagement with the project throughout the fellowship year (NOTE: due to the difficulty of launching a social innovation project from scratch, we give preference to applicants who have ongoing projects, but each year we have selected Fellows who have a concrete vision for a project and plans to launch during the fellowship year, given they have the adequate expertise, resources, and community connections at the time of applying)
- In-depth knowledge of the community and the issue that the project is seeking to address, preferably with at least one year of previous experience working with the community
- Interest in learning and engaging in contemplative practices throughout the year
- Commitment to participating in all dimensions of the program (online learning platform, 1-on-1 coaching calls, group learning calls, etc.)
- We estimate full participation in the fellowship requires about 12 hours per month, not including Fellows’ work on their projects
- Attendance at the Contemplative Leadership Assembly in late July 2023 (DLF will cover all costs for travel, lodging, and meals for the Assembly)
- October 19, 2022: Application opens
- December 1, 2022: Application deadline (applications and all accompanying materials must be submitted by 22:00 Coordinated Universal Time)
- February-March 2022: Fellows are selected and notified
- March-June, 2022: Virtual onboarding of new Fellows
- Late July/Early August 2022: 5-day Contemplative Leadership Assembly in United States
- July 2023-June 2024: Formal fellowship year (online curriculum, coaching calls, group learning calls, project implementation in local communities)
- July 2024 and beyond: Fellows complete program and enter LifeLong Fellows global leadership and learning community.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, Click here
You may also find the following useful: