About the FAO Young Professional Programme Officer, Innovation and Digital Agriculture
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. FAO’s goal is to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) oversees 47 Sub-Saharan countries guided by Regional Priorities that serve as a mechanism to ensure effective delivery and to demonstrate impact of FAO’s work on the key priorities of the Region. In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, guided by Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 1 (No poverty), SDG 2 (No hunger), and SDG 10 (Reducing inequalities) as well as to supporting achievement of the broader SDG agenda, which is crucial for attaining FAO’s overall vision.
Digital Agriculture is one of the 20 Priority Programme Areas defined by the FAO Strategic Framework 2022-2031. It plays a critical supportive role for the Regional Initiatives and the Priority Programmes of the Regional Office for Africa. The Young Professional Officer (Innovation and Digital Agriculture) will support the implementation of the Digital Innovation Strategy of FAORAF, including the Pilot Digital Villages Initiative in Africa.
FAO hiring for the position of Young Professionals Programme officer, innovation and digital agriculture. The position is located in the Regional Office for Africa in Accra, Ghana.
Key Functions of Professional Programme Officer, Innovation and Digital Agriculture
- Analyses relevant technical social, economic, environmental, and technology information, data and/or statistics for input in various documents.
- Maintains records and updates databases and web pages.
- Provides technical support to various projects.
- Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc..
- Participates in the organization and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
- Supports the implementation of the Digital Village Initiative in the Africa region.
- Contributes to partner engagement activities with public sector, private sector and development partners to foster digital agriculture in Africa.
- Supports the preparation of analytical and knowledge products on digital agriculture in the Africa region; contributes to the development of analytical and knowledge products as well as project documents.
- Maintains records, update databases (e.g., the digital knowledge repository and the FAO digital portfolio relevant for the RAF region) and contributes to the update of project webpages.
- Participates in partner and stakeholder engagements on digital agriculture.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in agriculture, information technology, economics or related field.
- One year of relevant experience relating to use of digital tools in the agriculture sector.
- One year of relevant experience in digitalization, information technology projects, startup environment or management consulting.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of any other FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
NB: Please note that candidates should be 32 years of age or younger as of 31 December of the year of application.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
Other benefits, subject to eligibility, include:
• Dependency allowances
• Rental subsidy
• Education grant for children
• Home leave travel
• 30 working days of annual leave per year
• Pension fund entitlements under the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund
• International health insurance; optional life insurance
• Disability protection
How to apply for Professional Programme Officer, Innovation and Digital Agriculture
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
Application Deadline: 18/Sep/2022, 10:59:00 PM
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org