The United Kingdom is one of the desirable destinations for International students across the World. Studying in the UK promises students a good quality of education and standard learning facilities. The UK also provides opportunities for scholarship programs that would benefit exceptional applicants. If you are looking to apply for UK student visa, read this article to the end. However, some requirements qualify every candidate for this process.
At the end of this article, you will have learned the application process of a UK students visa and the requirements.
Firstly, let’s look at the required documents for a UK student visa application.
Table of Contents
Requirements of a UK Student visa
Here I have a list of some required documents that make you eligible to apply for a student visa.
- A copy of your Confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS)
- A valid passport and other travel documents
- Account statement that proves that the applicants have enough funds for their studies.
- Consent from financial sponsors if you have one.
- Legal papers showing the consent of the applicant’s Parents/Guardian ( Candidates Under the age of 18)
- Medical results
- A valid ATAS certificate (depends on the course or nationality of the candidates)
- A copy of your birth certificate
If you have these documents ready, you can proceed to the online application process.
Apply for UK student visa online
The online application process is simple. I will show you a few steps to apply for UK student visa;
- Visit gov.uk/student visa
- Verify your identity via Biometric data at a visa application center
- Select the ‘Apply’ option, and you will see a link to the application form.
- Complete the online application form.
- Book an appointment at a visa application center.
Note; You will submit a copy of the documents listed in the requirements section during the appointment. Also, you will need to submit a copy of the completed online application form and the payment slip during the appointment. It takes around three weeks to confirm the status of your application.
The student visa application process must be done within six months before starting your course.
The simple procedure here will assist you in applying for a UK student visa. However, you need to be eligible to have a chance. In the next heading, I will give you brief details of the eligibility status of this application.
Applicants qualify for a UK student visa only if;
- You are 16 and above
- You have an offer to study in the UK by a licensed student sponsor
- You can speak, read, write and understand the English language
- You have consent from your Parents/Guardians.
If you satisfy the above terms, you can apply for a student visa in the United Kingdom.
Applying for a UK student visa from inside the United Kingdom
So what if a candidate is already in the UK? This answer to this question is based on two options. To switch to a student visa or to extend a current student visa. I will explain how both of these situations work.
Switch to a Student Visa
You can switch to a student visa if you are already in the United Kingdom. However, you will need an offer of a course from a licensed sponsor. This evidence must be shown in the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
To start the application process, submit your biometric data at UKVCAS
Extend your student visa
You can extend your student visa for one of the following reasons;
- To continue your course of study or
- To start a new course of your choice.
Extending your student visa is applicable for people with a Tier 4 visa. However, if you are currently running on a short-term visa, you are not eligible for this process.
For more information on extending your student visa, click here
Note; You must apply for the student visa at least three months before your course starts.
Types of UK student visa
There are a few types of student visas in the United Kingdom. Each of these visas is required for specific situations. Below is a description of the types of visas in the UK.
Short-term Student visa
This type of visa is required for brief language programs or research purposes. In these cases, the student has a visa to stay in the UK for 6 to 11 months.
Tier 4 Student Visa
The Tier 4 student visa is the most common type of student visa in the UK. This visa is used for people applying for a bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, or a Ph.D. The Tier 4 visa lasts throughout your study program.
This type of visa is open to both postgraduates and undergraduates, and it is a good option for international students. The graduate visa allows students to work in the United Kingdom for at least two years after graduating.
This program allows you to work without meeting the minimum threshold salary. The graduate visa offers the chance to work at any skill level in the United Kingdom.
UK Student Visa fees
The visa fee depends on the type of visa you want to apply for; here is how much it cost;
- The application for a UK student visa cost £348 if you are applying from outside the UK
- On the other hand, if you are switching or extending your student visa, it costs £475
So, here you go!! Everything you need to know about how to apply for UK Student visa. The requirements, eligibility, application process, and other information these covers are vital in applying for a Student visa.
You also have to know more about the financial requirements and other details relevant to this subject. So I believe this article has shown you all you need to know about the online application for a Student visa in the UK.
If you found this information helpful, feel free to share it with your friends or families.
You can also visit www.gov.uk/studyintheuk for more information.