If you are considering a career in the developmental sector a World Bank Internship is one of the internship that can lay a Solid foundation for your career path. The World Bank Group as a developmental organization is focused on helping Countries to create sustainable economic growth, build resilience by investing in human capital project with the aim of ending extreme poverty and creating an inclusive environment for everyone.
The World Bank Internship Programme (BIP)
About the Internship Programme
- The World Bank Internship Program (BIP) offers highly motivated individuals an opportunity to be exposed to the mission and work of the World Bank.
- The internship allows individuals to bring new perspectives, innovative ideas and research experience into World Bank’s work, while improving skills in a diverse environment.
- It is a great way to enhance CVs with practical work experience.
- World Bank Internships are available in both development operations and other business units (such as Human Resources, Communications, Accounting, etc.) however, availability during a given internship term is based on business need.
The WB Internship Program typically seeks candidates for: Operations (Front Line) in the following fields:
- Human development (public health, education, nutrition, population), social sciences (anthropology, sociology)
- Urban Planning
- Natural Resources Management
- Private Sector Development, and other related fields
- Corporate Support (Accounting, Communications, Human Resources Management, Information Technology, Treasury, and other corporate services).
Benefit of BIP
- The World Bank pays an hourly salary to all Interns
- Where applicable, the bank provides an allowance toward travel expenses up to USD 3,000 at the discretion of the hiring manager. These travel expenses can only include transport expenses (airfare) to or from the duty station city.
Location of Internship Programme
- Most Intern positions are based in Washington, DC with a few others in the World Bank Country offices.
Duration of BIP
- World Bank Internship Programme is offered twice a year; Summer Internship (May – September) with application period from December 1 – January 31 each year. And Winter Internship (November – March) with application period from October 1 – October 31 each year
- Usually, internship opportunities are for a minimum of four weeks
- Candidate must have an undergraduate degree and be enrolled in a full-time graduate study program (pursuing a master’s degree or PhD with plans to return to school full-time).
- There is no age limit.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of languages such as: French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Portuguese, and Chinese is desirable.
- Other skills such as computing skills are advantageous
How to Apply for BIP
- Application are submitted online, you can submit one by clicking here, you will be asked to create an account if you don’t have one.
- Use either Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Internet Explorer 10 or higher as your browser for the application process.
- Ensure you enter all your information correctly.
- Ensure your Curriculum Vitae is up to date; your State of Interest is clearly written and your Proof of Enrollment in a graduate degree
- You have to submit your application in one session, so make sure all your documents are ready and ensure to finish the process within 90 minutes
- Once you submit your application; a confirmation email including your application number will be sent to you immediately.
- World Bank will contact you if you are shortlisted by the hiring team.